Membership & Eligibility
Each semester, members are required to attend biweekly meetings, volunteer for at least one service opportunities, and attend a set number of SIR-credited events on campus. The Executive Board reserves the right to withhold honors if you do not meet attendance and participation requirements.
Membership in SIR gives you an opportunity to hone your leadership skills as a chapter officer or through event planning. You will receive Eliot Honors at commencement in recognition of your service to SIR and wear honor cords at graduation. In addition, the National Honorar provides other unique opportunities to attend conferences with the UN, World Bank, and other international institutions, travel and research grant opportunities, and a chance for members to submit papers to the Sigma Iota Rho publication, Journal of International Relations.
Local Chapter Membership
All students who are interested in international issues are welcome to participate in the Washington University chapter of SIR as local members. We welcome students of all academic backgrounds and extra-curricular pursuits.
National Honorary Membership
Seniors that meet the following requirements are eligible for nomination to the National Honor Society:
- Declare a major in International and Area Studies; East Asian Studies; Latin American Studies; African and African-American Studies; Jewish, Islamic and Near Eastern Languages and Culture; or Political Science (International or Comparative Politics tracks)
- Maintain a 3.4 GPA or higher within the major and 3.3 cumulative GPA
- Complete at least 21 hours of coursework within the IAS major and 3.3 cumulative GPA
- Complete at least 21 hours of coursework within the major (junior or senior level)
- Pay a one-time membership fee of $45